DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Thursday, September 08, 2005

The L-word

Remember that little contest I told you about a week or so ago? Yep, that's right. The Best Opening Hook at Romance Divas. The judging period ended yesterday at midnight, and the results are in. And...I lost. Yep, I'm a loser, with capital L.

LOSER

LOSER

LOSER

(What did you think the L-word was? Likeable? Lovely? *lol*)

Since the contest is over - at least for us l-worders *chuckles* -, I can talk about it. You see, I sent the openings of five of my WIPs (here with their working titles):

1. One Wild Convention (contemporary comedy) - entry #51
2. Crimson Desire (vampire erotic comedy) - entry #45
3. Dark Angel (paranormal erotic romance)- entry #50
4. The Muse (fantasy erotic comedy) - entry #44
5. Untamed Fantasy (fantasy erotic romance) - entry #49

Putting it bluntly, all five entries were shredded to pieces by the divas. (For those who are reading this now and judged them, yep, I wrote those pieces of crap. *vbg*) Except C.C. She was the only one who totally "got me." *lol* I was truly amazed. If I ever publish one of those stories, I swear I want her - and only her - to review it for Romance Divas. *g*

Some said my scores were so poor because I didn't follow the rules of the contest correctly. Something about sending the first 250 words of the story. Anyway, I admit I didn't read Gina's post on it. My entries were a last minute whim. But even if I'd done it right, I know that wouldn't have sway the judges to score my entries higher.

(Note: Congrats to the winners: Lynn, Jax, Sela, Dawn, Tawny, Sienna, Clara)

Comments on "The L-word"

 

Blogger Jax Cassidy said ... (9:47 PM) : 

Repeat after me "I AM NOT A LOSER"

How I see it, I felt like the "L" word myself.. but when I got to final I was in shock because I never final in anything :) You know that it's nothing to do with your writing. When there's a contest like that with submitting only 15 lines of your Best Opening Hook or 250 words..that's terribly hard to get anything good out of a person's work. I'm proud you entered. There will be many more to enter and you will Final or even Win.. so you better not think you're a loser!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Hugs, Silma! Contests are so subjective. Let yourself wallow for 24 hours then go kick some fictional ass. *g*

 

Blogger Shari said ... (1:03 AM) : 

YOU aren't a loser! Contests subject your prose to so many little tiny details, you almost have to write an entry based on the guidelines....

don't let it get you down. At least you entered! I decided not to enter, because I knew I wouldn't be able to get a good score unless I changed my work to make it fit the guidelines.

Saying that, some great stories don't fit the guidelines, but they still are great stories! The trick is to believe in your writing. Have faith in yourself!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

You aren't a loser, at all. Quit being so hard on yourself. I couldn't help but go back and look to see which of your entries I judged, just to see what I'd said.

I judged two of yours, and liked both. Even said that both got my interest.

This was a tough contest because we had so little to work with. I'm betting that if we'd have been able to submit more, your scores would have been higher.

I'm joining Jax in the repeat after me: I AM NOT A LOSER

(And I may have finaled with one of my entries, but the other three didn't do anywhere near as well.)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:37 PM) : 

I didn't enter the contest. I judged some of the entries (not all because there were so many) and I know this was a tough contest. But Silma, I've read your blog entries. You're a great writer. Not a loser!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 AM) : 

You're not a loser. Silma, I distinctly remember muttering over on my blog that I was a failure. Guess who was first to tell me I wasn't. You wouldn't let me get away with feeling sorry for myself so you can't either. You're not a loser at all!!
Tori is right. Go kick some fictional ass...

 

post a comment