DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Thursday, July 06, 2006

When a story threatens to spill out

As you all know I've been trying for the past two and a half weeks to finish my story for the DDD anthology (the deadline is Aug. 1). Notice that I said "trying." I started alright, adding about 1.5K words to the story during the first week, but then I hit a (huge) snag, and I've not been able to move past it.

You see, the problem is that the external conflict is taking over the internal conflict. Okay, well, that's not it exactly. Hm... It's more difficult to explain that I thought. Here's the deal, I'm trying to create a connection between the DDD story and another one, which I started writing even before DDD one. Besides having the same setting, which is also the common denominator in Viviene's and Cassandra's stories, I wanted Zack, the hero of my other wereanimal story, to appear in Marcus's story (which is for the DDD anthology). You know, have a couple of scenes together so the readers would recognized Zack when they read his story. So far, so good, right? Right.

So for the DDD story, I wrote a scene that allowed me to introduce Zack, and then a second one in which Marcus and Zack interact a bit more, showing the relation between these two. Fine. Now here's where the mess started. Zack's story is more action-packed whereas Marcus's story is more internal conflicted. But because of the scenes I already wrote, the external conflict in Zack's story is sort of spilling out into Marcus's story. I want Marcus and Helena's story to have more internal conflict than external conflict. I mean, the external conflict will be there in the form of her ex-husband, but I don't want this story to turn into one of those "action-packed ones," where the hero/heroine depend on something to happen to react. You know, the typical line in which the hero saves the heroine from perilious situations. No, no, no!!! This isn't what the DDD story is about. I want Marcus and Helena's story to be very emotional. I want to make the heroine struggle with her own emotions and believes (what's right and wrong), and therefore, raise and challenge society's moral values. (But it's all an emotional struggle for her. She will have to break with everything she grew up believing in and change.)

So, my question to all wise writing gurus out there is:

What do you do when the conflict/action of one story threatens to spill into the other? How do you keep the original plot intact without allowing the follow-up to mess it up?

Comments on "When a story threatens to spill out"

 

Blogger Shelli Stevens said ... (4:24 PM) : 

I was getting confused just reading that! But I think I understand what you're saying. Just gotta pull back on the other story. It can be hard though.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (7:55 AM) : 

Shelli - It is confusing! Well, it's not really confusing, but it's confusing when it comes to the whole writing process.

Pull back from which story?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:20 AM) : 

Silma, Here's my thought for what it's worth. Action is fine in the other story as long as it *forces* your character to acknowledge and question her internal conflicts. The action needs to be linked to that, and it'll have a much more powerful punch.

 

Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said ... (8:37 AM) : 

That's been happening to me, too. So what I'm doing is just focusing on one story and whatever happens happens. Even if I can't use it in the other story. I don't know how wise this is, but I know that I get blocked when I try to argue with my subconscious about what to write :)

 

Blogger Zinnia said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Good luck with that story.

I saw a contest for an anthology I might try. I think its deadline is Aug 31. With everything else going on right now, I'll be certifiably nuts if I take on one more project.

Oh well...lololol!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (1:14 PM) : 

Tess - Sadly the action won't work well on this story because of the kind of heroine Helena is. Her internal conflicts must come from falling in love with Marcus, not by running around and trying to get killed or anything like that.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (1:15 PM) : 

Trace - I'm trying to focus on the story that has the deadline now, which is Marcus's story. But the external conflict/action part that belongs to Zack's story is bleeding into it, messing it up, making the internal conflict shallow.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (1:15 PM) : 

Zinnia - Good luck with the contest! *g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Stacy D. - That was the idea. That the strong external conflict that is in Zack's story would be only like minor thread in Marcus's story. But now it's threatening to overwhelm Marcus's story, turning the inner conflict within Helena a secondary conflict or a totally unimportant one.

 

post a comment