DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Unpublished works when I'm dead

What are you guys planning to do or are doing with work you don't want published, swiped or artfully interpreted after you buy the farm? - Paperback Writer
I just ran across this question posted by author Lynn Viehl on her blog, and it got me thinking (which it's a dangerous thing to do).

Okay, I'm not a well-known writer as she is, and I doubt I'll ever be. So who would want to publish my stuff once I'm dead? I doubt that my goddaughters will find all these CDs and diskettes with my stories and decide to publish them. *rolls eyes* I'm sure they might end up throwing them all away without looking at the content of the files. Or maybe they'll amuse themselves reading what good old Madrina Silma wrote when she was young. Then they'd laugh and cry and put them in the trash can. Of course, wouldn't it be a kicker if they published them and the stories became bestsellers? Famous after death. *lol* Gosh, I can see it now! Everyone saying how good I am. And they can't say a mean word because I'm dead. You don't speak bad of dead people (except evil politians).

On the other hand, let's imagine for a moment that I gain a measure of recognition among my peers and the romance community, but I kick the bucket and leave behind all these unpublished material. Would I try to destroy the stories so nobody can find them when the gorgeous Grim Reaper, with emerald-green eyes alight with inner fire, silky black hair, and a nice tight ass that won't quit, comes to pick me up for a long-term date? Nope. Would I mind if one of my goddaughter tries to pick up on where you left? I doubt that will ever happen as those two don't have the inclination to write. But if she can do a better job than I did, more power to her. (Girl, just make sure you get paid!) How about if if it's another writer? Then I'm coming back and haunt him/her. (I'll make one hell of a spook!)

Comments on "Unpublished works when I'm dead"

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (11:11 PM) : 

I've actually thought about this.
I started thinking about it when JK Rowling was interviewed and flat told the reporter that if something happens to her before the last book is out...POOF! No more Harry Potter. The story is in her head. So there.
I've got bits and pieces all over my desk for stories. Would I mind someone pilfering through them and trying to write them? You bet.
The only way I would get around that would be if they took the idea and ran with it themselves. But don't take half my work...add to it...and think you're going to do it justice.
Yeah. I'd haunt ya.
Grins*

 

Blogger Cora Zane said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Richard Lyman's wife had someone piece together her husbands old mss and sold them. They aren't half bad. I guess I won't care what happens to my mss once I'm dead, because... well, I'll be dead. I do plan to leave any work I have copyrighted to my oldest son so it stays in the family. Heck, maybe he can do something with it that I couldn't. So I guess he'll have control of whatever I didn't publish as well. Good luck to him with that old rubbish.

 

Blogger Shelli Stevens said ... (1:52 PM) : 

Questions I can't even begin to consider, lol. WAY too over my head!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:44 PM) : 

Crystal - *lol* I agree with you in that if they're going to take your work, they might as well you a hell of job expanding on it.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:44 PM) : 

Stacy - Thanks! *g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:45 PM) : 

Viv - Si, chica. Today I'm a whole year older. *lol*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:46 PM) : 

Shelli - You know, I never thought about it either until I read the post at PBW blog. Then the questions were planted in my head and it was hard to take them out. *lol*

BTW, thanks for the well wishes. *g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:47 PM) : 

Cora - Does your son has writing inclinations?

 

post a comment