DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Let's talk about men, girls

"Never judge a book by its cover."


Okay, it's not really about men itself. It's more about book covers. We've heard the above saying tonz of times, right? C'mon, let's be honest. We do judge books by their covers. I know I do. I'm a sucker for a good cover. *lol* I just came from Borders. I bought Kinley MacGregor's Sword of Darkness. But I couldn't help myself. Just look at that cover! Wouldn't you wish to have that man looking at you that way? Oh, I know I'd give ANYTHING to have a handsome man like that one giving such a hot look. *purrs* Admit it. We (mentally) swoon and drool when we see those wonderfully hot male models in the covers. They're the stuff our fantasies are made off.

Of course, you all know my pet peeves when it comes to book covers. Badly done ones, like the ones using Poser. If the figures don't look real, I won't buy it. Period. And you all know how I hate it when covers despict the hero and the heroine all wrong. Excuse me? The story says she has red hair, and the model in the cover is blonde. Hello? Red? Yellow? Duh? But let's not talk about that now, ok?

If as readers we're affected by the covers, as writers we know that good covers move books. Let's face it, covers make a world of difference. A good book cover means cash in$$$

So my question to you all is this: When the graphic artist of your publisher contacts you to work on the book cover of your story, how do you decide what you want to see in it?

Comments on "Let's talk about men, girls"

 

Blogger Jordan Summers said ... (2:34 AM) : 

Sometimes you have no idea what the cover should look like. I try to stick with men in general on the covers...because that's what I like to look at. *g* I also try to send in a photo of an actor if my hero resembles someone. That's about all you can do. You'd probably NEVER guess whose photo I sent in for my AQ4 cover.

 

Blogger Shelli Stevens said ... (2:52 AM) : 

So... umm... you ever hear back from Cobblestone on that vamp book? ;)

Do you realize what kind of detective work Loribelle and I did tonight? Hee hee!!

 

Blogger Loribelle Hunt said ... (3:02 AM) : 

Gotta love a half naked man on a book cover.

Hey, I pm'ed you. Enquiring minds want to know lol. ;)

 

Blogger Jodie said ... (3:36 AM) : 

I totally agree - the cover HAS to be good for me to pick it up. Sad I know - I might miss a great story but I just have to have a nice chest (man of course) on my cover to drool on. Yum

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:59 AM) : 

I want Sword of Darkness! I think I need to do some shopping this weekend. And honestly the cover of the book is first impression of the book. You see it and the title before you ever read the blurb.

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (1:38 PM) : 

*laughing*
Well, this is timely.
I usually have SOME semblance of an idea of what I want. And I LOATHE fake people covers. I cannot stand them. It's always a stipulation on my artist info sheet. Negatory on them.
But I had an idea for my first Torrid cover, and my cover artist had a better idea. She won. LOL
It's posted on my blog.
Grins*

 

Blogger Cora Zane said ... (7:48 PM) : 

Well, I admit I will read a book with a crappy cover if the blurb is a grabber, but I do love hot male cover art, lol! I can be sold on a cover alone...although I've been disappointed in the past for doing so.

For my own book cover I didn't want any people close ups though--just to be safe.

Speaking of hot hunky covers, Ann Cory's Breaking in Levy (Cobblestone Press)-- now that guy is smokin' hot! *drool* I want to read it just to get behind that sexy cover. ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 PM) : 

That's a cool cover for sword of darkness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

For as many books as I've done, I've rarely been given a lot of choice in the matter of my covers ...

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:42 PM) : 

Jordan - Hmm... Let's see. Uh... Your husband? *wg*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:43 PM) : 

Vivienne - I have to admit that cover for McCray's lastest novel, just showing the legs, is totally sexy. *g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:44 PM) : 

Loribelle - Too bad they're only half-naked. *evil grin*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:45 PM) : 

Jodici - *high 5's* Yeah! No matter people say, a man in the cover is definitevily a seller.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:47 PM) : 

Tess - You're right. A title is just as catchy as the cover. After all, when the books are all lined up in the shelves you don't get so see the covers, just the books' spines.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:48 PM) : 

Chryscat - Okay, now I'm dying to see the cover! *lol*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:49 PM) : 

Cora - You have a great cover, even if it doesn't have a half-naked man in it. ;)

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:50 PM) : 

Bonnie - And so far the story is pretty good! *g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:50 PM) : 

Jill - I guess big publishers tend to work on the covers more on their own than smaller publishers and epublishers.

 

Blogger Shesawriter said ... (10:31 AM) : 

I think of a major scene that's a turning point in the story, OR the first scene where the h/h meet.

 

Blogger Katrina Glover said ... (1:37 PM) : 

I agree. Covers can either be a turn on or turn off.

 

post a comment