DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Editing hell: Reaching a new plateau

Just when I think I'm crawling out of editing hell, something else pops in that brings me back. And with it a new level of editing hell. (How many levels are there?)

You see, three days ago I received DianaC's critique and made the necessary grammar corrections she suggested. I'd not asked for a line-by-line critique so she didn't give me much feedback on the story, except for a very general impression on how hot the story is. *lol* Still I felt compelled to PMed her asking her how she felt about the hero and heroine, and if she'd found any plot holes.

These plots holes came as a result of expanding upon the original story. Most of the recent critiquers found two major plot holes now in my story. One was the hero. Readers found him too elusive, like they couldn't get a grasp of who he is. Also that he accepted his new self too easily. The second one was the panic the heroine has at the beginning of the final chapter.

I thought I'd covered the first plot hole, but according to DianaC's answer, obviously, I didn't. As for the second one, I'd divided the second chapter into two, expanding the first part with (yet another) flashback. Still, I thought I was pretty much done with editing.

Well... guess what? As I went over the story one last time, I had this little nagging feeling that something still wasn't right with the story. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what though. I kept reading the story until it hit me. The setting. It was all wrong. For this new version of the story anyway. Why didn't any of the critiquers pick that up? *sighs* Now I have to change chapter 1 (if I'm that lucky!)

Let me tell you, editing is a frustrating process, and any writer - regardless of their level of expertise - will tell you that. I'm amazed at how much a small story can change when you try to expand it. One scene can affect the whole story. Plot holes become larger than moon craters.

Comments on "Editing hell: Reaching a new plateau"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

(((Silma)))

 

Blogger Shesawriter said ... (7:32 PM) : 

The levels of editing hell are endless. You need a savior to yank you back before you plunge any deeper. Maybe an angel will have mercy on you. Oy.... I feel your pain.

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Editing hell is endless. There are too many levels to even fathom. Then sublevels of levels. And so on and so forth.
HUGS woman!!!
Grins*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:41 PM) : 

Bonnie - Thanks for the good vibes. *g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:46 PM) : 

Vivienne - I was thinking more of having the hero going to modern France to visit the old chateaux since he saw it in a photo and something within him recognized it (kinda deja vu), instead of having him stranded in the middle of the boonies. I guess different people read things differently. *lol*

Anyway, I'll explore the possibilities with this new idea. If I like it, then I'll flip a coin and let it decide which one I submit.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:54 PM) : 

Tanya - Well, if the angel looks anything like Will Kemp, allelluyah, bring on the savior. *lol*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:58 PM) : 

Chryscat - Uh-hu... I hear ya. Nobody has tried to sort out all the levels and sub-levels of editing hell, uh? I guess there's one way to go through it. Bring on the M&M's and the margaritas! *g*

 

Blogger Shelli Stevens said ... (2:16 AM) : 

yeah books are full of editing errors, half the reason is because we're still learning. It is for me anyways! Congrats on pressing through and getting to perfection! That's fabulous!

 

Blogger Nonny Blackthorne said ... (6:58 AM) : 

Oh, I hear you. Been there, done that. *hugs*

Expanding a story is incredibly complicated and intricate. The differences in plot scope and arc are pretty massive, and it can be difficult to get that right first time around. :-\

Good luck with it!!

 

Blogger Jordan Summers said ... (6:38 PM) : 

There are at least seven levels of editing hell. I know because I'm in number seven right now. LOL!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:29 PM) : 

Nonny - Next time I say something about expanding a story, feel free grab a baseball bat and whack some sense into me. *lol*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:31 PM) : 

Shelli - In my case, the plot holes came from expanding a short story into one double the size. *lol* Sometimes one small change in a scene can change the whole story.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:35 PM) : 

Jordan - I think I found level #8 and #9 these past two days. *lol* Hope you can crawl out of your editing hell soon. *g*

 

Blogger Jodie said ... (10:17 AM) : 

Hugs on the edits - man I feel your pain! I wish sometimes I could have fun with editing like some writers - but I guess I'm not built that way.. *sigh* Well, take solace in knowing you're not the only one.

Good luck with it though. May it be quick and painless...

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:34 AM) : 

Jodici - You mean there are writers who enjoy editing? That's sick! *lol*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:57 PM) : 

Doc-T - Well, the only good thing about a 100% humidity and very high temperatures is that it gives me an excuse to go to the beach and check out handsome men playing beach volleyball. But I assure you, it's all in the name of research. *wg*

 

post a comment