DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Book suggestions?

I must admit it. Not many books are holding my attention these days. If you've been keeping track of the section "What I'm Reading" on the left sidebar, you'll see that I've 4 books started, and the last 2 of those have been there almost forever.

One is from TOR, a well-known sci-fi and fantasy publisher, who decided to hop into the paranormal romance bandwagon with a new line, TOR romance. This is the second book I've read from that line. The first one was good, but it was no romance. I could have dropped the hero, and it wouldn't have made a difference to the story. So I thought about giving the line a second chance. After page 126, I quit reading it. Maybe if it'd been labeled as paranormal, I'd have finished it. But it was label as paranormal romance. Sorry, I don't see the "romance" part in it.

So I admit I've been bored. A friend suggested me a few erotic romance books. I started reading one at Borders, then set it aside by chapter 3, and I didn't bother to pick up the rest.

Erotic romance... same old, same old. Paranormal romance...same old, same old. There's nothing memorable in them. *sighs* I'm looking at my TBR pile, and a sense of dread creeps up my spine. Have I become tired of reading romance novels? *shudders*

Today while I was at Borders I was tempted to pick up something from Carole Nelson Douglas or Rita Mae Brown. Let's face with cats with cute names like Midnight Louie and Sneaky Pie Brown, who can resist? *lol*

But the truth is... I'M BORED! I need something new to read. So I'm opened to suggestions. (Please, no romance or erotic romance.)

Comments on "Book suggestions?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

For what it's worth, I love the Carole Nelson Douglas and Rita Mae Brown books. They're on my "always buy" list. :)

 

Blogger Silma said ... (12:10 PM) : 

Tori - Really? Then I'll buy one next time I go to Borders. *g* I didn't buy any yesterday 'coz I wasn't sure if they were any good. Although I admit that now I wanna have a black cat to name it Midnight Louie.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (4:37 PM) : 

Vivienne - IMHO, if TOR simply said that the stories were paranormal, perhaps I'd have finished this last one by now. But I expected a romance, and I'm not feeling sympathetic to the hero and heroine. The author could get rid of both, and still the story would be fine.

BTW, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look it up in B&N. *g*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:30 PM) : 

Well in terms of fantasy books, my sister loves the Symphony of Ages series by Elizabeth Haydon. Here are the books:

The first is Rhapsody: Child of Blood
Prophecy: Child of Earth
Destiny: Child of the Sky
Requiem for the Sun
Elegy for a Lost Star
The Asassin King (This one isn't out yet)

Since you didn't want romance I had to ask her what she'd recommend :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:11 PM) : 

The Midnight Louie and Sneaky Pie Brown books, btw, aren't paranormal, per se. Though there are scenes in the animals' POV. :)

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:34 PM) : 

Bonnie - Thanks for the heads up! *g* I'll check those books.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:36 PM) : 

Tori - I read that they were more mystery. Is that right? Anyway, I think having things seen from the cats' POV is totally cool. *g*

 

Blogger Shesawriter said ... (9:20 PM) : 

If you read historicals, try Anne Stuart's latest. The Devil's Waltz.

Tanya

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:29 PM) : 

Tanya - I think I read some of her stories before. Hmm... not sure though. But her name sounds familiar. Did she always write historicals?

 

post a comment