DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Saturday, February 04, 2006

A woman has died, but the dream is still alive

Betty Friedan, author of The Feminine Mystique and philosopher of modern-day feminism, died today.

A few days ago fellow diva writer Annalee Blysse posted an article called The Good Wife's Guide, which was written in the 1950s on how a woman should behave as housewives, in her blog on. At first I laughed so hard as I read it. The whole article reminded me of those 50s shows, like the Donna Reed's Show. Remember the submissive wife who could do vacumm the rugs while wearing a nice dress and pearls around her neck? And some people call that reality. How many of you women wear a dress and your pretty blink-blink to do house chores? Raise your hands, please. Uh-hu. Just what I thought. Nobody. So much for presenting life as it was. Personally those shows reflected what society wished reality was versus what reality truly was.

Then as I re-read it, anger built inside me. If women were so happy in the 50s, why was there a women's revolution? What was the base of the feminist movement then? Revolutions don't start unless there's unrest and unhappiness. Some women have dismissed this by saying that just a few unhappy women started the movement. The same way Afro-Americans said "Enough is enough," and went on to prove that they should, and I quote Martin Luther King, Jr., "not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Women did the same.

So just like Martin Luther King, Jr., I have a dream too. I have a dream that my two goddaughters will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by their gender but by the content of their character.

Comments on "A woman has died, but the dream is still alive"

 

Blogger Angela's Designs said ... (12:37 AM) : 

Ever notice that they had ways to deal with "problems" in the 50's that kept the room clean but the reality beneath the carpet? I was watching a show once where they interviewed people just a little older than me who were born in the 50's and given up for adoption. A woman slighly older than me was also on the show and said it haunts her to this day that she was forced to give up her child. I don't have facts, just the memory of that television show. But I do remember they said thousands upon thousands of women now live with that pain every day because they were born into that decade where life was supposed to be perfect, yet wasn't. And I know it's true because I've met women who were pregnant teens in the '50's and early '60's and they were forced to give up their children. Anyway... I think children have an easier time if one parent can stay home and "keep house", but I don't think it has to be the woman. Unfortunately, most people don't have the luxury of a single-income these days.

 

post a comment