DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Weeepa Boricua!

"Yo soy boricua...
Pa' que tu lo sepas."

That's the chorus of a reggaton song. And in this case it applies as tonight another Puerto Rican, Zuleyka Rivera Mendoza, was crowned Miss Universe. Puerto Rico is but a small island in the Caribbean Sea. Once a colony of Spain, now of the USA. It's been hard for my people to keep an identity. And when things like this happens, it makes us more aware of our heritage and proud that it's recognized in some way. Now Zuleyka Rivera joins a very exclusive group of women that have represented my little island:

2001 - Denise Quinones
1993 - Dayanara Torres
1985 - Deborah Carthy-Deu
1970 - Marisol Malaret

Oh, I know as a feminist I should feel offended by this type of show that only serves to diminish women. And I promise to get totally offended as soon as I finish celebrating the victory of Puerto Rico. *does the Snoopy dance*

Comments on "Weeepa Boricua!"

 

Blogger Emmy Ellis said ... (7:31 AM) : 

Man, she's very pretty, bless her.

:o)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:13 PM) : 

I'm glad there was nothing seriously wrong that caused her fainting spell right after she won. That had to be scary!

 

Blogger Cora Zane said ... (5:07 PM) : 

Does the Snoopy dance with you! :D BTW, I remember when Dayanara won it! That's the only year I was able to watch the pageant all the way through.

 

Blogger Karen Erickson said ... (11:42 AM) : 

She's beautiful! I used to love watching beauty pageants - my grandma and I used to watch all of them when I was a little girl. I'm not an uber feminist, and I have to admit, I don't see much wrong with these shows. If the girls are going to make something of themselves because of it, then cool. As long as they don't sell themselves out and do something crazy, like pose nude with Donald Trump (doesn't he own like every beauty pageant out there now?)! lol

 

Blogger Ann Cory said ... (2:41 PM) : 

LOL!! Dang she's a looker! I don't watch the pageants, but I always check to see who won.

:)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:26 PM) : 

That chickadee is gorgeous! Most of the group were though :)

 

Blogger Jodie said ... (4:26 AM) : 

That's alot of women from you're Island to win. Good genes huh *wink* ;p

 

Blogger Jordan Summers said ... (5:48 PM) : 

She's a beautiful girl.

 

Blogger Shelli Stevens said ... (2:09 AM) : 

LOL you're too funny. And she's too gorgeous.

 

Blogger Dana Pollard said ... (9:53 PM) : 

She's absolutely beautiful!!

I just love it when Ms. Texas wins the Ms. USA. (It's happened quite a bit like PR has won the Ms. U... cool.)

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (9:06 AM) : 

WOMAN!

You're neglecting this blog. HMPH.
Come back and entertain me. LOL
Grins*

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:34 PM) : 

Hey Silma hon. I hope everything is all right!

 

Blogger Zinnia said ... (8:08 PM) : 

I'll do the Snoopy Dance with you!

I'm pleased that this year's WWE's new Diva is a latino gal. I'm sick of the blonde booby women always winning. I was yelling "it's about damn time!" at the TV the whole time Layla held her 250K check! :-D

 

Blogger Emmy Ellis said ... (4:52 PM) : 

Silmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Where are you?

:(

 

post a comment