DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fast Draft workshop: Day 8

I admit it. I'm a sick person. I live obsessed with my heros' and heroines' names. I can't write a story if I don't have the "perfect" name for them. Many fellow writers have suggested me to give them temporary names (or "working" names) until I can come up with something better for them, but I just can't do that. I've tried; believe me, I have T-R-I-E-D. But it just drives me crazy not knowing their names! I keep thinking about their names (to the point of obsession) so I can't focus on the story until I have their names. Sometimes I've gone for days without writing a word of the story just because I don't know the name of the hero and heroine; and therefore, nothing in the story - the plot and the conflict - makes sense to me.

For me, a name is very thing. It says so much about a character that I get a feel for them. (Look at Pearl in The Scarlet Letter, or Ernest in The Importance of Being Earnest.) Through their names I get to know so much about my characters. Who they are. How they perceive life. What makes them tick. That's why I keep a database on Excel with names for heroines, heroes, and villains. Every time I see a name I like, I put it in. Then I try to find a last name that matches. I also keep a list of surnames for that purpose.

Am I crazy? *watches you all nodding emphatically* Hey!!! You don't have to agree so fast, you know. Besides, it was just a rhetorical question. Sheeesh!

Is there something you must absolutely need to know about your story/characters (like the title, characters' names, the name of the town, etc.) before you jump to write the story?

Pages written for Fast Draft workshop: 0

Comments on "Fast Draft workshop: Day 8"

 

Blogger Jax Cassidy said ... (1:40 PM) : 

I totally agree with you. The importance of a name makes you see the character vividly in your head. I can't just give them a temp name, it doesn't work. I choose carefully the names for my h/h because depending on their meaning it is a small attribute of their personality.

BTW, there's a pill for OCD, Silma. Want some? haha

 

Blogger Katrina Glover said ... (5:19 PM) : 

Agreeing w/ you as well, Silma.

Before actually STARTING a story I have to have (1) A title (2) NAMES. And not just any names. THE names they shall live w/ for the rest of their LIVES.

(oh, the power!)

 

Blogger Angela's Designs said ... (10:43 PM) : 

I have a tough time starting without a name. It's so much easier to think of them as a person with a name. Changing it is nearly impossible after I pick it too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 AM) : 

Yep! I'm the same way, Silma. I have to have the name or I can't write the story.
Want to know the name I came up with for my hispanic hero in Sopaipilla Blues? Carmelo...it fit him perfectly. He is tall, lean muscled, dark wavy hair and eyes the color of rich caramel. He wears those white chinos with the drawstring tie in the front and they kinda ride low on his hips...um...Whew! Is it gettin' hot in here or is it just menopausal me? Whoa... :) So what are your favorite hero names from your stories?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Keeping a database of names is a cool idea, Silma.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 PM) : 

I absolutely agree! I NEED names before I can write a word. Mostly, the right names pop into my mind, but on the occasions they don't it's frustrating. I usually hit the baby name books or find an online site and hope that the perfect name leaps off the page/screen quickly.

 

Blogger Amie Stuart said ... (10:40 AM) : 

Should be writing really I should. I know when I wrote OIABM my heroine's best male friend needed a name. I just "gave" him one--he wasn't that important just a secondary character--and got about halfway down the page and had to go back and change it cuz it didn't feel right.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:43 PM) : 

Jax - I also check the meaning of names. Sometimes it helps me playout certain things. Pills for OCD? Sure, send me some! *LOL*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:44 PM) : 

Kat - OMG, we must be twins! I also need to have a title or I can't write a word.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:45 PM) : 

Annalee - I agree with you. Names gives a sense of "realness" to me. Otherwise it's like I'm looking at non-tangible strangers.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:46 PM) : 

Ceri - Girl, that Carmelo sounds like one hot tamale! *wiggles eyebrows*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:47 PM) : 

Bonnie - I also buy baby name books too for such ocassions. *g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:49 PM) : 

Shelley - I use online websites to research surnames. I love reading the story behind them. *g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:51 PM) : 

Cece - For me, even secondary characters need the "right" name. I'm so anally controlling that way. *lol*

 

Blogger Eva Gale said ... (6:49 PM) : 

I'm the same.

I have to have the name right. I thinknames are so important. I mean, did you ever meet someone and think they didn't fit their name?

Can you imagine Jax as a Diane? No way!

The names come to me first. I normally see the character as a whole.

The title? Eh. Not so much, bt it does irk me if I haven't gotten my finger on it. Although this way I'm not tramuatized if a publisher wants to change it.

 

post a comment