DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Ramblings on publisher of my dreams

Yesterday Jordan Summer posted the question about who are our dream publishers on her blog, and I laughed and posted something saying there wasn't a publisher willing to take on my stories. I mean, c'mon... Dream publisher? What's that?

Yet as I read the answers to her post, I realized all aspiring writers (and many epublished one) dream about having their works published by one of the big NY publishers (Pocket, NAL, Avon, Harlequin, etc.). Therefore, they spend their time studying their target publisher, and then aim all their energies and efforts into writing according to their guidelines.

Me? I don't have a dream publisher, it's something that never crossed my mind when I started studying the craft of writing a year ago. Sure, I'd like to see my works published someday. It'd be nice to see one of my pen names in cover, right? I mean, that's the idea of becoming a writer, no? But I never thought I'd have to start thinking more in terms of publishers and what they want out my writing. Am I such an oddity? Or am I too stupid to recognize the rules of the game?

Yeah, I agree, I'm the latter - stupid. Here, see? I write because I like it, when the story bouncing in my head intrigues me, or makes me laugh. I've never written anything thinking with a specific publisher in mind.

Although... come to think about it, that's not entirely true. As I looked at the list of contests in my blog, I recognized that I'm doing exactly that - writing something target to a publisher, regardless of how small it is. Hmm... No wonder I'm having such a hell of time trying to come up with ideas and writing. The idea of gearing my writing towards a specific publisher sucks the fun out of writing big time.

Comments on "Ramblings on publisher of my dreams"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:26 PM) : 

When I started writing I targeted. And then I slowly realized that my voice didn't fit that publisher. But I was trying so hard to make it fit. After a few rejections I began to see the light.

So I no longer target. I write what I feel. I'll find the publisher that is the best fit, but I have to be true to me along the way.

 

Blogger SuzanH said ... (10:36 PM) : 

I agree--it's more fun just to write. And I think you'll succeed when you're ready (at least I hope that's the case, since I'm doing the same thing you are!).

Here via Romance Divas--nice blog.

 

Blogger Jill Monroe said ... (12:44 AM) : 

The first romances I ever read were Harlequins, so naturally, Harlequin was where I wanted to be. A dream publisher would be a publisher excited about me and my writing.

 

Blogger DD Blackman said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I mostly starting writing because I had a story to tell. Now it just fun and if I get published along the way, that's even better. Good luck

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:26 PM) : 

Great Post!

I don't find a publisher I like, and then target them by writing what their guidelines say they want. I discovered my dream publisher by seeing that they publish what I already write.

Does that make sense? I'm not writing TO suit them, but I am already writing WHAT suits them.

And I also think dream publishers can change as a writer changes and grows. Black Lace used to be my dream publisher, and they still are a great publisher, but what I write has changed, so my fave choice of publisher has changed too.

 

Blogger Eva Gale said ... (5:56 PM) : 

My favorite publisher will be the one who publishes me. :P

 

Blogger Shesawriter said ... (7:56 PM) : 

I don't write to a target. I just write the story that's in me, and then decide later who to send it to. LOL!

Tanya

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:17 AM) : 

My dream publisher? Hmm...someone who LOVES my writing and really believes in me. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 AM) : 

I'm with you. Way more fun to just write from your heart and have faith someone will buy it when you're finished. I never targeted a specific publisher, and I've done okay, so it can be done.

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Wonderful advice from all. Write what you love. The publisher will come.
Grins*

 

Blogger Katrina Glover said ... (8:04 PM) : 

I'm like Jill. I grew up reading Harlequin and I guess when I started writing, I naturally gravitated to the stories that they published.

I'd still love to be published by Harlequin (they're my Big Fish) but now everything I write doesn't have to fit into one of their lines. :)

Good point, Silma!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:34 PM) : 

I'm with you! Two or three years ago I wrote to target and it sucked. I wasn't getting anything done. Now that I'm writing to be me and someday hope to be published, I am laying down many many (did I say many?) more words. And they're good. I think :)

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:56 PM) : 

Yeah, I guess you all girls are right. It's just that hear other romance writers talk so much about their dream publisher, that I sometimes feel like I'm the odd one here.

 

post a comment