DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Sunday, April 16, 2006

What's in a name? Book titles...

While I was discussing book covers, erotic romance writer Celia Stuart posted about how books covers like book titles can't be copyrighted and that's why there are so many titles that are similar. So that got me thinking about the book titles. And being a little paranoid, last night I found myself researching my working titles on B&N and Amazon.com. Luckily most of them aren't taken.

I admit I strive to come up with a title that's not exactly totally unique, but somehow pertains to the story. For me, the title has to somehow reflect something on the story - be that the theme, the mood, the setting, the characters, etc. Yet I've never considered the importance of the uniqueness of a title of a book, and how that can affect sales before. I mean, as a reader, I can see where I can be confused when there are two or more books written by different authors sharing the same title.

So my question to you, writers, is, do you think about the uniqueness of your book title when naming a book? Do you research it before you decide on it? Or you just simply like a title and go with it?

Comments on "What's in a name? Book titles..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:26 AM) : 

I just go with a title I like :)

 

Blogger K.A.S. said ... (9:57 AM) : 

I prefer a unique title to one that has been overused - or even gently used. But more than anything it needs to reflect the story inside the cover.

 

Blogger Amie Stuart said ... (9:57 AM) : 

I"m with Bonnie...I tend to pick titles I like, that reflect the story.

 

Blogger Crystal Jordan said ... (9:51 PM) : 

I always check Amazon and B&N to see if the working title's taken. If it is, I find another one. I guess I don't play well with others in the title sandbox. ;-)

 

Blogger Loribelle Hunt said ... (10:15 PM) : 

I try to find something that reflects story and is easy to remember. I hadn't thought much about its previous use.

 

Blogger Jordan Summers said ... (10:37 PM) : 

Like Bonnie, I just pick something I like and try to make sure it's not someone's recent release.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:24 PM) : 

Crystal - It's good to know I'm not the only one checking book titles on Amazon.com and B&N.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:31 PM) : 

Thanks guys! Yeah, maybe I'm being a bit too paranoid about titles. *lol* I should go with one I like that ultimately reflects the story.

 

post a comment