DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Caught between a rock and a hard place

You see, when I first came up with the story line, I did it with the Phaze contest in mind. But due to the lack of heat and erotic scenes, I decided not to submit it at the last minute. And so I began rewriting it, adding some erotic scenes to crank up the heat. Of course, this is taking me longer than I thought it would.

First, I need to insert these scenes into the plot line so they don't look incoherent. Then the addition of those erotic elements (strong language, sex scenes, etc.) is changing the flow of the story line, as well as who the hero and heroine are and their motivations. The latter doesn't represent a problem. I might not like my hero and heroine as much as I did before, but that's okay, I can deal with it. No problem in this area.

Now the changes the plot line is a different thing. The erotic scenes are overshadowing the original conflict between the heroine and the hero. Their conflict shouldn't be solely based on whether they have the hots for each other. That's part of it, but not the 100% of it. How can I achieve a balance between the internal conflict and the external conflict?

Comments on "Caught between a rock and a hard place"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 PM) : 

So the big question is do you really want to change the story this way? Change your hero and heroine? Or would you rather start fresh with a brand new idea specifically for erotic romance?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 PM) : 

That's a difficult situation. I'm afraid I don't have answers to that one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 PM) : 

I'd agree with Lynn. Maybe there are two stories here. But if you still can be happy with the story and the characters with the added scenes, then I'd go for it.

 

Blogger Eva Gale said ... (11:46 PM) : 

I have no clue.

Hmm.

Do you want to put in the sex? Do you like your characters less because of it? I dunno.

I think Olga has it right.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 AM) : 

I usually let the emotions guide the journey. Most often, the internal conflicts give you the best tension and you can use the external conflict to augment it. You can't force sex into a story if you don't have the set-up there. I guess I'd just consider where you want to go with it. Good luck!!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (2:02 PM) : 

Lynn - the funny thing is that this story was created specifically for erotic romance. How it ended up not being one, I can only blame it to a "Sandra Bullock attack".

 

Blogger Silma said ... (2:03 PM) : 

Olga - I just need to know how someone doesn't allow the erotic part of the story overshadow everything else. I need to find that happy medium, you know?

 

Blogger Silma said ... (2:05 PM) : 

Briana - At this point, it's not important whether I like my characters or not because of the sex scenes. I just don't want these overshadowing the conflict, to the point that the story line is deluted.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (2:07 PM) : 

Michelle - I tend to let the emotions guide them too. But somehow I'm finding too much contradictions now in this story.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

Oh, I understand that it was created for erotic romance and fell victim to the SBA, but maybe it's because the *characters* didn't want to do the erotic thing, ya know? Since you say adding the sex is changing the characters, you might want to just start with a new couple.

 

Blogger Shesawriter said ... (8:35 PM) : 

FWIW, making characters do stuff they don't want to do won't work in the long run. You'll be able to tell and so will your reader. I'm speaking from experience. I've tried to strong arm my characters too many times to mention and wonder of wonders, the characters ALWAYS win.

Tanya

 

post a comment