DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Friday, March 25, 2005

Beta, Gamma, and Alpha Heroines

No, I'm not talking about sororieties, but the types of heroines in romance novels. You see, recently I read Jill Shalvis's post on her blog about the heroine of her latest WIP, which she describes as a woman who is so down-and-gritty that it scares her. That comment made me laugh for two reasons: 1) it's about time heroines are (really) strong women and 2) I can't imagine her scared of her own creation (like Dr. Frankstein!).

I'm out to give you all my money
but all I'm askin in return, honey,
is to give me my proper respect
when you get home, yeah baby,
when you get home.
- Aretha Franklin, 1960's
Looking back, the heroines in romance novels have changed - a lot. I remember when I started reading romance novels 15 years ago, Beta heroines dominated the genre. These needy, mousy (although extremely pretty and very well-endowed) women depended on their ultra-Alpha men (aka Macho Men, Chauvinist Pigs) to help - at all times.

First I was afraid
I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live
without you by my side
But I spent so many nights
thinking how you did me wrong
I grew strong
I learned how to carry on
- Gloria Gaynor, 1970's
Then as time went by (and perhaps thanks to a generation of romance writers more influenced by the Women's Lib movement), more and more romance novels featured what I like to call the Gamma heroines. These are independent, witty, free-thinking, successful women. They have college degrees and/or hold jobs. Yet they are vulnerable and femenine, still needing Alpha heroes in their lives for support or their lives won't be complete. (Remember Scarlet in Gone with the Wind?)

Here's something I just can't understand
If the guy have three girls then he's the man
He can either give us some head, sex her off
If the girl do the same, then she's a whore
- Christina Aguilera and Lil' Kim, 2000's
Nowadays, every now and then, the Alpha heroine pops in. This heroine has a bad-ass attitude and a big mouth to back it up. Yes, she is opinionated. Yes, she knows what she wants and how to get it. (She's determined, and she'll streamroll anyone who gets in her way.) Yes, she lives her life on her terms and doesn't need society as a mirror to define her. Therefore, she flaunts society's rules and norms (especially the ones that determine how women should behave). (They remind me of that character, Jacqueline 'Jackie/Jack' Broyer, played by Robin Givens in the forgettable Eddie Murphy movie Boomerang.) Men call them "bitches," and the alpha heroines love every letter that in that word. Women call them "manish," and the alpha heroines give them the finger. I call them women with cojones. It takes a big hero to fall in love with an Alpha heroine, and that's why I love reading about them.

Comments on "Beta, Gamma, and Alpha Heroines"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 PM) : 

I love strong heroines! But I also like a touch of vulnerability in them, like in "Alias." In my favorite GONE WITH THE WIND Scarlette is a very strong heroine, especially for her time, I think.

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (2:42 PM) : 

Oh MAN! I love the music references. From Aretha to Lil' Kim and Christina. WOO!
I agree completely. A woman has to hold her own. Back in the day... it was the needy woman. She was abandoned and alone. She needed the man to rescue her. It's evolved some. But my favorite is the kick a** woman. She has cojones and is not afraid to use them. I will read this type of romance ANYDAY over the needy chick.
Grins*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:45 PM) : 

Hurray for the strong heroine! I can't remember the book, but once when I was depressed about my best friend dying, I read about a heroine who had just lost someone. It taught me that it's ok to feel loss & that's what helped me start to feel better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 AM) : 

I hope it's okay to say it here: thanks for visiting me and have wonderful holidays!

 

Blogger Sasha White said ... (2:36 PM) : 

Great Post!

I love strong heroines too. And the men that fall for them.

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (3:22 PM) : 

SIGH
An Alpha man on his knees. That has to be another post entirely.
Grins*

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (4:44 PM) : 

I don't think I could write an Alpha heroine, mainly because I have no idea how they think. Most of mine seem to be Gammas who think they're betas. :)

 

Blogger vanessa jaye said ... (1:11 PM) : 

What a fun post, Silma! Love the song quotes. I like a strong heroine, but she dosen't have to be kick ass. In fact some of the kick ass, herione's are written a little too hard nosed for me. I know this person would probably rub me the wrong way in real life.

Then again, most of the Alpha men in romance books, I'd never want to meet in real life (except in the dark, between the sheets. ;-)gg)

As the Beta heroine, per your description, I don't mind her being that way in the beginning, as long as she grows and becomes more self assured through out the book.

 

Blogger Amie Stuart said ... (11:08 AM) : 

What a great post!!! Love the song breakdowns too. I hate to say this but I recently judged a contest entry circa 1980 complete with beta heroine who suffered from chronic TSTL (and I got all that in 25 pages!!!!).
By the time I was done reading I needed an intervention.
I LOVE strong heroines, but everyone has a weakness--even an alpha female and I think that's what makes them empathetic.

 

post a comment