DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Do I know you?

Since I started thinking about writing romance novels seriously, every romance writer in the loops I'm in and every book I've read stress the importance of knowing your characters inside out. Gosh, even Lynn is raving about this book she is reading now, First Draft in 30 Days, which contains all these character sheets you have to fill out. (Her enthusiasm is so great that Teresa and Sheri are hooked on the book too!) It's like I can't sit and write a story if I don't know every single detail about the life of my hero and heroine, and every other character in it, first. Then, in order to do that, there are those character sheets flying around the net and in books. I'm suppossed to fill them out - one for each character.

Fill out character sheets... I've never filled out one of those before. I didn't even know they existed, for crying out loud. Do I have to do that? Oh, I didn't know. Is that a rule? Oops! Then I broke it. Gosh, I just feel like the worst writer ever.

Do I know my hero and heroine inside out when I start writing a story? No, not really. There are times (perhaps 95% of the time) that all I have is the hero's and heroine's names. That's it. I don't know squat about them. Perhaps I have an idea of what they do for a living. As the plot develops, their lives slowly unfold before me. Of course, in those instances, I'm not even 100% sure of the whole plot either. Now, if I've a well-developed plot in my head, I can tell you the hero's and heroine's life story (and a few dirty secrets too!).

Comments on "Do I know you?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 AM) : 

I tend to know my characters pretty well before I start writing. Now at least. Not things like what their favorite colors are, but I do know their past and what has gotten them where they are, and I know what their goals are.

And I think that's why my one manuscript was rejected. I didn't really know the characters as well when I first started writing and I think that comes across in the first half of the book. I'm working on changing that then I'm resubbing it.

I remember having a brainstorming session with Lynn over LP on the heroines goals and motivations because I told her, LP's only motivation can not be to get laid.
So we tossed some things around and now I think I have a handle on her.

First Draft in 30 Days is really good. Because I've been so sick I'm behind in everything and haven't been able to apply anything yet.

 

Blogger Sela Carsen said ... (9:16 AM) : 

You're not alone, Silma. Some people find character worksheets extremely useful. I'm not one of them. I haven't the patience to fill out all the little lines. As for knowing my characters, my first drafts are wicked rough and the characters develop throughout. They only become cohesive on the rewrite, which is necessary anyway.
I know I've heard more folks talk about the First Draft in 30 Days book lately. Sounds like the Snowflake to me and works better for plotters than pantsers.
How about -- you write the way that works best for you!

 

Blogger Tess said ... (11:04 AM) : 

Silma,

One thing I've learned over the last 10 years or so is that each writer has their own method of writing - usually borrowing from a variety of sources. I didn't do major character interviews. Instead I'd write a background piece, then fill things in as time went along.

Do what works for you :-) Though, as you've likely noticed, I recommend FDin30D as well) *g*.

Teresa

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 PM) : 

I never know my characters at first, sometimes not even in the middle. But by the time I finish a rough draft and hone it, adding the layers, the heart and soul, I know them inside and out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 AM) : 

I get to know my characters as I write but have a firm grip on their GMC before I start. I tried character sheets once, and when I'd finished them they languished under a pile of papers in my office. I found them months later!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 AM) : 

I get to know my characters as I write but have a firm grip on their GMC before I start. I tried character sheets once, and when I'd finished them they languished under a pile of papers in my office. I found them months later!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 AM) : 

Oops! Sorry about the double post. I got impatient with my computer!

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (4:47 PM) : 

I definitely don't know my characters inside and out before I start. And the character worksheets in FDi30D aren't like some of the huge ones I've seen that want to know everything from the character's weight to their religion to their favorite food.

Part of my writing journey is discovering my characters along the way. It's such fun when they suddenly reveal something I'd had no idea of!

And I'm laughing--I remember that brainstorm session Sheri mentions, and some of the outrageous things we through out there among the real gems.

 

post a comment