DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Monday, March 21, 2005

Critiques and critiquers - Pet Peeves

Speaking of getting CPs and critique groups, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the blog entry "Thanks for the critique, you ignorant cow…" by Lori Devoti at Romancing the Blogs. When I decided to take writing seriously, the first thing I did was join a few critique groups because I felt getting feedback from others would help me grow as a writer. So for the past 9 months I've been at both ends of the critique game.

Mind you, a critique is nothing more than another person's opinion about your work. That means their words aren't written in stone. However, it's a positive experience in which one can learn a lot.

As a critiquer, I keep this in mind at all times. For me it's important to point out both the good and the bad in a work. I let them know what I like. (Ask my CPs. Carolyne always gets a kick out of my comments 'coz I react to everything in a story. *lol*) Even if the work stinks, I try to encourage improvement by telling the person what's wrong and how to improve it.

On the other hand, my WIPs have been critiqued. Most of the time I've received good critiques. (Note: Good critiques doesn't mean that my work is "oh so wonderful." It just means that the critiquers have been kind enough to point out my weaknesses and how I can imptrove them, as well as point out my strengths.) I still have to deal with those who are less than positive in their critiques. The laughable part is that they critique but they never post anything. (What? Are you afraid of not measuring up?) And don't you hate it when someone, who's going to critique your chapter, starts with the "I'm going in without having read the other chapters" line? I know I do. It only means that the critique will be so off the mark that most of time isn't worth reading (except for the grammatical corrections.) Even if you don't critique the past chapters, take the time to at least read them. Oh, and don't get me started on those who don't know anything about the genre they are critiquing. If you don't know about it, do us both a favor and don't critique.

Comments on "Critiques and critiquers - Pet Peeves"

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Don't you just hate when you put a chapter up in a large group and a critique starts out with "I don't normally read this genre, but..."?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:28 PM) : 

I find that critiques make me lose faith in my work. Don't get me wrong, I can take the criticism (have I contradicted myself?) but I just find that they want chapter 1 followed by chapter 2, and I can't write that way. When I'm working on something, I'm all over the place. And critiques ruin that for me.

Nancy
www.nancyhenderson.htmlplanet.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Some crit partners are fabulous and others are awful. I eventually left a group where the primary participant kept trying to get me to change my writing voice -- which of course turned out to be my main selling point. Fortunately, I'd been writing long enough (or was arrogant enough) to recognize my strength.

Some people don't know, and they don't know they don't know. And they don't learn, either. For me, these are the main people to stay away from.

But when you find a good partner or group who's supportive, constructive, and well-read....Ahhhh!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (12:06 PM) : 

That was what I was talking about Lynn. I drives me crazy when do that. If you don't read the genre but want to make grammar corrections, fine. But don't critique what you're not familiar with. That was what happened to chapter 3 of my last WIP, remember? Now I've come to understand that not everyone there was ready to read erotic romance. *crosses eyes*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (12:08 PM) : 

You're so right, Teresa. That's another pet-peeve for me in critique groups. There are those who rearrange everything and ends up sounding like "them" not you.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (12:10 PM) : 

Nancy, a good critique group, one that's familiar with the genre you write, etc. can help you improve your writing.

As for posting everything chapter by chapter, I understand your frustration. In the beginning it was awful for me 'coz I'm like you - I write whatever scene pops in my mind. So I learned to first finish the MS and then submit it for critique.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (12:14 PM) : 

That's so true, Sandra. *g* So it's important to be honest when you're seeking a critique group or partner. Don't just join one just because...

 

post a comment