DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Friday, May 05, 2006

Let's talk about promos!

I don't know about you, but thinking about promo gives me a headache. Let's face it, as writers we have think about promoting ourselves and our books, right? Okay, so I've been visiting a few places that cater to writers, checking out their products, and I've been wondering which of these do you as a romance and/or erotic romance writer consider "a most have" for promo.

Bookmarks
Business Cards
Calculators
Clipboards
Doorhangers
Food Storage Containers
Jar openers
Keyholders
Kitchen utensils
Letter openers
Magnets
Mini Calendars
Mouse pads
Mugs
Pens
Pocket calendars
Postcards
Plastic Cups
Rulers
Temporary tattoos
Water bottles

Which ones do you use and why? Also, what do you put in them (cover of your books, or your name, or your website address, etc.)? This inquiring mind would like to know... *g*

Comments on "Let's talk about promos!"

 

Blogger Jill Monroe said ... (12:10 PM) : 

I always use postcards. I give them out at conferences, and mail them out to readers. I also slip them into Christmas cards.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (1:09 PM) : 

Jill - And what do you put in your postcards?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:20 PM) : 

Right now I have postcards and custom made bookthongs with a tie in to my series. I've heard pens do really well and so other more personalized items. I'm still learning so this is a great topic. I'll check back to see what others say.*g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (1:31 PM) : 

Tess - Whoa! For a moment I read "thong" and I went..."WHAT? She has thongs with a tie to her series? I can't imagine selling thongs with images of my books." Then I re-read the whole thing, and saw it was bookthongs. *lol* My mind is right in the gutter today.

 

Blogger Nonny Blackthorne said ... (1:39 PM) : 

OK, speaking as a reader ... I like bookmarks and pens best. Bookmarks are small, fairly cheap (I would imagine?), and who can't use them? Same with pens. (Hell's bells on Satan's reindeer, at the rate pens disappear around my place, I'll never turn down a free one!)

Coffee mugs... well, it depends on what's on it, I think. Then again, maybe not. I won't turn down a free mug, either. ;) LOL

Personally, I think a tasteful image from one of the books, with your name and web address, is a good idea. But it depends to some extent on the cover, too. If you've got a bad Poser hack job for one of your covers, BAD BAD BAD idea. Better to find someone on DeviantArt who would be willing to create a likeness of one of your characters for you for a decent price and use that, IMO.

BTW, would you mind sharing links for the places you've found? I know of CafePress, but that's about it. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 PM) : 

I'm not to that point yet, but I think business cards are Must-Have, then bookmarks. The rest is just gravy, IMO. :)

 

Blogger Silma said ... (2:04 PM) : 

Nonny - Thanks for your input! Tomorrow I was planning to put up a similar topic but from the POV of the reader. *g* But I agree with you on if the cover of the book should or shouldn't be in the promo stuff.

Here's the links:
Earthly Charms - This one has a few links to other places.

Cafe Press

 

Blogger Silma said ... (2:06 PM) : 

Nonny - Oh, and I agree with you on using DeviArt artists. I've seen some truly magnificent artwork in it, even using Poser. I recently saw one that I just drooled all over, and I want to use her image for the cover of one of my books.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Tori - I'm not at that point either, but just in case. I keep submitting, so I never know. ;)

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (7:57 PM) : 

I've heard pens and magnets are good. But when you have a lot of books, you can't really focus on one.
I'd say to go with--Name, website, publisher site, and blog.
If you've won a contest or have an award, pop that on there.
I've had my cover artist make me some bookmark templates. So that should be a fairly small fee.
Grins*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:52 PM) : 

Chryscat - Do you print your own bookmarks?

 

Blogger Jodie said ... (2:26 AM) : 

Pens and sticky notes are good - I find we always use them and everytime the do they might look at it and pause. Magnets as well.

Mugs are nice, but it's all about money I'm afraid...

 

Blogger Faith Bicknell said ... (12:13 PM) : 

Well, WCP has some Wild Child logo stuff in our store such as tee shirts and coffee mugs.

As for my personal book promotion, I never have anything left over when money comes in because I'm raising 4 kids, lol.

RYC: What is the Spiritual Humanism and the Universal Life Church?

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (5:52 PM) : 

Silma:

Jinger sent me some templates. And I can do them myself (if I have a good printer) or take them to Kinko's and they can hook me up. But I have a lot of friends that make their own.
Grins*

 

Blogger Shelli Stevens said ... (10:50 PM) : 

Eeek I'd be broke if I used all those! I do magnets, postcards, and business cards!

 

Blogger Shelley Munro said ... (4:43 PM) : 

I do postcards as well. I get mine from Vistaprint. One of my publishers gives me bookmarks and cover flats. I love bookmarks but I'm still wondering what to do with the cover flats

 

post a comment