DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I've been charmed...

A couple of nights ago I finished reading the second installment of the Ophelia and Abby Mysteries, Charmed to Death, by Shirley Damsgaard. I was a bit hesitant about buying it because I'm usually disappointed with the sophomore books of a serie. But the totally awesome cover charmed me. And after reading the blurb, I figured I could give it a shot. Boy, am I glad I did! What a great read! I couldn't put the book down. It had everything. A dash of action. A good measure of romance (I hope detective Comacho shows up in the third book!). And a tickle of magick and good humor. Best of all it brought a sense of closure to the heroine. I won't get into details because I don't want to spoil it for you. *winks* If you want to find out what I'm talking about, you'll have to read the book. However, in case you're thinking about reading this book, I suggest you read the first one, Witch Way to Murder, first.

Have I peaked your curiousity? Okay, here's the story in a nutshell. Ophelia has psychic powers, which is kind of hereditary in the women of her family, particularly from her mother's side, but she denies the powers after she forsees her best friend death and is unable to stop it. So after suffering one major nervous breakdown, she moves to the small town where her grandmother, Abby, a hereditary Appalachian healer, lives, so she can live a normal life. Of course, if Ophelia thought she could escape her heritage, well, she's got another thing coming. Abby is the adorable 74-yrs-old granny we all would love to have. Funny, strong, sensitive, wise. With her guidance, Ophelia, the reluctant student, has to learn to come to terms with who she is - a psychic and a witch. Easy, right? Nuh-uh. Not when, thanks to her psychic powers, she finds dead bodies before the police does, and somehow she gets involved in mysterious cases when all she wants is to be left alone to be normal. *lol*

Comments on "I've been charmed..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 PM) : 

Sounds like a fun series! One of our regional libraries has the first book, so I'll have to request it. :)

 

Blogger Faith Bicknell said ... (4:28 PM) : 

Hmmm... I may just have to read it to see if the Appalachian stuff is accurate since that's where I live.

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (8:44 PM) : 

Ooooooooooooo
I LOVE the way this sounds. And I REALLY like the second book cover.
Thanks for the tip!
Grins*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Tori - I like the series because it's fast-paced. *g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Faith - Oh, I wouldn't know about the whole authenticity of the Appalachian magick/healer thingy. So let me know. *g*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:02 AM) : 

Chryscat - Oh yeah, that second cover is so totally clever. *g* Hope you enjoy the books as much as I did.

 

Blogger Jordan Summers said ... (3:57 PM) : 

Sounds cute. :)

 

Blogger Silma said ... (4:58 PM) : 

Jordan - I can't wait for book 3! *g*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 PM) : 

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the kind words!! I'm glad you're enjoying the series!

All the best,
Shirley Damsgaard

 

Blogger Heather said ... (5:37 PM) : 

Last night I'm reading the weekly "Rhythm" section of the paper with all the movie listings & reviews, dining reviews, and other upcoming local events, includingthe book listings which I usually skim to see who might be in town the next week and where.

So I'm reading along and I see, "Shirly Damsgaard, Saturday 2pm, Booked For Murder" and I'm sitting there looking at it, thinking, "Shirly Damsgaard...Shirly Damsgaard...where do I know that name?"

Check out the rest of the book listings, and open my little notebook to make a note of something...and flip right to a page with her name and book titles -- which I'd written down after reading this post last week! DUH! ;-D

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to make it as I'm supposed to be going out for lunch with friends. Too bad, since Booked For Murder (www.bookedformurder.com)is a neat little shop, though woefully enticing to the checkbook.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:38 PM) : 

Shirley - Wow! Great to have you here. Honestly, I'm dying to read the next installment of this series. Hurry and write it...pleeeeeeeeeeeeze!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:46 PM) : 

Heather - Too bad you couldn't make it to her book signing. But buy the books. They're just great! *g*

 

post a comment