DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Friday, May 13, 2005

A visual of my own writing hell

The semester ended last week, and now I'm in the low season at work. After finishing the critiques yesterday, I turned my attention back to writing in the hopes of coming up with an idea for a sizzling hot romance story for the Phaze contest. Briana, my mentor (I think she still is my mentor), wants me to set it in Puerto Rico. Okay, I'm all for it, but nothing comes to my mind. (Forget the erotic vampire story I mentioned a few weeks ago. I agree with Briana, it'd work best as a single title.) So hoping to stimulate my creative neurons (well, at least those that might still function anyway), she sent me an email with this question:
What can happen only in Puerto Rico because of the heat?
Since today I'm alone at the office, I wrote the question on a piece of paper and sat on the table (away from the computer to avoid the internet temptation), hoping to do some free writing. For the past few hours, I've been staring at the question, but my mind remains like a blank board. Agh! I'm in writing hell! If I could put it visually, this is how it'd look:

Narrow down the setting
Circle I Limbo

Finding the hero and heroine
Circle II Whirling in a Dark & Stormy Wind

Describing the hero/heroine
Circle III Mud, Rain, Cold, Hail & Snow

A good hook to begin the first chapter
Circle IV Rolling Weights

How does the story end?
Circle V Stuck in Mud, Mangled

River Styx

Inner conflict
Circle VI Buried for Eternity

River Phlegyas

Plot
Circle VII Burning Sands

What's the conflict of this story?
Circle IIX Immersed in Excrement

Characters motivation
Circle IX Frozen in Ice

Design your own hell



Go to the beach? Well, the heat last throughout the year, so we go to the beach even on December 25th. Hurricanes? Draughts? Ugh! Not romantic! Sheesh! When you live in a tropical island all your life, heat is something you live with every, single, day. It becomes as normal as breathing.

Comments on "A visual of my own writing hell"

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (4:57 PM) : 

You might be able to work with a hurricane scenario. Maybe your couple retreat to a storm cellar or some such (do they have storm cellars in PR?) and end up trapped by a hurricane. They'll have to find *some* way to pass the time until they're rescued, right? *g*

Fingers crossed you climb your way out of that hell!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:39 PM) : 

Great idea Lynn, but sorry to shot it down. No storm cellars in PR. Our houses are made of cement. (Except for those from poor people.) They can withstand a hurricane just fine. I should know, I lived through hurricanes Hugo, Hortense, Georges, and Jeanne. The worst one was Georges. We were inside the eyes of the hurricane for 2 freaking hours.

 

Blogger Katrina Glover said ... (9:42 PM) : 

I've never been to Puerto Rico but with all that heat you describe, for some reason my mind keeps popping up with a really hot Hot HOt HOT Blaze (both chemistry and heat wise)...I see sweaty bodies...and a dance. Something along the lines of Dirty Dancing...but I don't know why.

Do you ever do those brainstorming bubbles? Where you stick one big bubble in the middle of the paper and then draw lines out from it with different ideas.

LOL sounds kinda silly. I just remember doing it in school ... can't remember why tho :)

Wish I could help!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:33 PM) : 

Teresa, it's an excellent idea - if the setting was somewhere in the Mid-West, USA, where there are tornados and the houses are made of wood.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:51 PM) : 

Oh, yeah... I remember those brainstorming bubbles, Kat. It was for those essays for the English classes. *lol* I tried to do something similar with a table today. It didn't work.

As a foreigner, you "romantize" live in the Caribbean. Me, I think of sweating while dancing salsa and merengue as something yucky. I mean, your clothes plastered under your armpits? Not romantic. *lol* It's like me and snow. I've never seen snow, so I've got this "romantic" idea about it. Uh, getting trap inside a cabin during a snowstorm must be so romantic. Fuinding ways to keep warm! *wiggles eyebrows* Yet my ex-bf, who lived in Indiana, took it for granted. Snow was just a darn inconvenience for him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 AM) : 

Hi Silma,
My name is Gretta and I found your blog off the RWCLIST which I just joined.
I'm generally a lurker these days but decided to crawl out of my hermit-crab shell as we seem to have similar interests (Dante's Inferno, tarot, writing etc).
I'm Caribbean-born (Dominica) but I live in Montreal. I'm a wife and mother & an RWA PRO member. I've stopped in Puerto Rico twice (for a few hours each time) while on an Eastern Caribbean cruise.

My suggestion: Rich, spoiled sexy bored girl (a Paris Hilton type) meets a poor but hunky, tall dark and to-die-for handsome electrician when the air conditioner in her family's mansion breaks down during a heatwave.
Hope that stimulates the neurons.

Gretta.

 

Blogger Larissa Ione said ... (9:52 AM) : 

Heat...heat stroke? *g* Okay, not so romantic. Fishing? Boat tours? Snorkeling? Okay, I know these are water things, but they could still happen in Puerto Rico. And they could involve heat and skimpy bathing suits...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 AM) : 

I'll trade you your heat for my snow any day, LOL ...

 

Blogger Kristen Painter said ... (6:09 PM) : 

You'll come up with something Silma, I know you will. I think the storm is a great idea if you can fit it in.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (4:32 PM) : 

Jill, even though it's a generous offer, I'd rather decline. I prefer to spend the year suffering temperatures in the 80's than freezing my butt. *winks and giggles*

 

Blogger Silma said ... (4:33 PM) : 

Larissa - *LOL* Yeah, maybe she suffers a heat stroke, is taken to the hospital, where she meets a hot looking doc. Oh my gosh! This sounds like an episode of "Days of Our Lives." Ugh!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Hi Gretta! Good to see you de-lurking. *g* So, are you Dominican then? Cool! How long have you been living Montreal?

BTW, thanks for the suggestion. *g* I'm still tossing around ideas and see what suits me best.

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (10:10 PM) : 

Ah, sorry, Silma. I tried. Cement houses, huh? Okay. I'll keep thinking. *g*

 

post a comment