DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Romanticizing vs. Reality

After reading my post yesterday, a lightbulb in my head lit, making me realized that people fantasize about places they have never been before, romanticizing in our mind about those exotic places.

For those who have never visited Puerto Rico, or have visited as tourists only, the island may seem like an idillyc place to live, with its turquoise sky, white clouds, and wonderful weather all year around. The flora will look exotic, its vibrant colors catching their eyes. The island can entice a foreigner, making his/her imagination take flight. If they're writers, that imagination can take new heights. And if they're romance writers, it'll turn into a source of inspiration.

However, those of us who have lived here all our lives can tell you a very different story. The hardships of getting a job. Living through hurricanes and draughts. (Don't take me wrong. Puerto Rico isn't such a bad place to live. Especially if you live in a small town. Totally quiet.) And don't get me started on politics. Reality crashes against that romantic version, pretty much stripping the illusion away.

For example, it's like me and snow. I've never seen snow in my life. Sure, I've seen pics of it, but that's as close as I've been to snow. In my mind, writing a story in which the hero and heroine are trapped in a cabin after a snowstorm sounds very romantic. The snow covering the land like a while blanket. The fire. The furs on the floor. Warming by the hearth. Hmm...the deliciously romantic possibilities. Of course, Jill, who's still been getting snow, would tell me differently. *lol*

My point is some romance writers romanticize about Puerto Rico. Me? I've lived here all my life. So I'm having a hard time coming up with romantic ideas to set here. Reality bites...

Comments on "Romanticizing vs. Reality"

 

Blogger Katrina Glover said ... (1:45 PM) : 

LOL I know exactly what you mean, Silma. I live in San Diego (personally, I've seen snow...and I love it LOL).

I can't help but think, does it really have to be in Puerto Rico? Obviously, you're having trouble trying to romanticise the city (which, I personally, this is hard because you know it on a very personal level). What if you switched the locale to somewhere you still romanticize about?

Just a thought...I do know that someone wanted you to set a story in Puerto Rico...but I thought you might want to keep your hair LOL :)

 

Blogger Silma said ... (2:52 PM) : 

That's the challenge, Kat, to set in Borinquen. *lol* Funny thing is that I rarely think much of the setting, in terms of place. I think in terms of town or city or country, not if it's in Europe or USA or any other place. I'm weird that way. *lol*

 

Blogger Katrina Glover said ... (3:04 PM) : 

OOOO its a challenge (see, always knew reading too fast would bite me in the butt!)...

Well...that doesn't make it any easier.

I'm terrible with locations. I'm like, its earth...take it or leave it.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (3:22 PM) : 

Hahaha! I'm the same way, Kat. When they ask where it takes place, I answer city or small town. And when they ask where the city or small town is, I just reply, "There are so many, choose one."

 

Blogger Katrina Glover said ... (3:40 PM) : 

Exactly! LOL

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:18 PM) : 

Obviously I've been fantasizing about beachy settings with all my snow, but when it comes to writing, I like to go through the travel sites online for setting ideas.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 PM) : 

Good Luck Silma. This reminded me of an encounter with the hot guy at Starbucks. It was during an ice storm (well just before) and living in the south we have more ice storms than snow or anything. I commented on the storm and losing power. His comment to me was "I don't know. I've thought it was pretty cool. You lose power and are trapped for a few days with nothing but your imagination to entertain you. Sounds like an adventure to me." Then he smiled. That gave ice storms a whole new twist for me . . .

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:49 PM) : 

Jill, check out these websites to get you in the beachy mood.

Welcome to Puerto Rico

Go to Puerto Rico

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:52 PM) : 

Teresa,

You and Sheri are always meeting hot guys at Starbucks. *lol* As for the stranger's comment to you about ice storms, it's the foreigners' POV that make us see things that we take for granted in a different light.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 PM) : 

Oh, but Silma, you could write such a romantic and fabulous book set in Puerto Rico with all your inside knowledge. Maybe invent a fictional town in Puerto Rico then make it everything that is all the best in Puerto Rico combined. I'm not sure I've ever read a book set there, but I'd like to. It sounds romantic! :)

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:38 PM) : 

Suzanne, I'm afraid that won't work. *sighs* We, Puerto Ricans, are very zealous of our island, our culture, etc. A writer can't invent a town without having Puerto Ricans attacking him/her (from calling the person ignorant to anti-Puerto Rican). People here demand accuracy when dealing with our things. It gets very nasty, trust me. =(

And even if boricuas weren't so zealous about it, there are 78 towns, 2 of them are town-islands (Vieques and Culebras). There's no space in such a tiny little island for another town.

 

Blogger Eva Gale said ... (12:21 AM) : 

Snow sucks. It melts, turns to ice and makes evrything muddy. People freak while driving in it and everyone runs out and buys up all the milk in fear they will be stuck for days...or for two hours when the snow plow comes.

I think you writing in the reality of the island is what will make it stand apart. Readers will go Wow! this is great! I love and search for the true nuggets in the historicals. I think a person would love to read that truth about mango trees. I know I loved reading about it in your blog!

You're a good writer Sil. You have talent. Hang in there. Don't think it to death.

 

post a comment