DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Monday, May 16, 2005

Do I look like I live in Fantasy Island?

Just recently Briana suggested me to write a story set in Puerto Rico, and since there aren't many romance novels set where I live, I thought it was a great idea. I mean, who better to write a novel set here than me, a native from the island, born and raised here? After all, I could create a more realistic setting, right? So I said to myself, "Bueno Silma, manos a la obra. Let's get buzy!" So for the past two weeks I've agonized over the story. Okay, I don't have a title for it. No problem. I could work something out once it's written. Next. I've got the setting: Puerto Rico. Now, where in Borinquen? Small town or San Juan? That could have an impact in the story. Hmm... At the beach or the country? Oookay... Maybe I could get back to this later. So I moved on to the real good stuff: characters, conflict, and plot.

Yes, I've got my hero and heroine in Puerto Rico. Now, who's my hero and heroine? Is one local and the other isn't? Perhaps one is a tourist? If she is the local one, she must have big butts, big hips. Totally curvy. Hmm... No good. In a market target for American women, I don't think they can identify with busty and curvy heroines. How about if he is a local? He'd have to be small, around 5'6" to 5'8", with a lean body, like a surfer. Hmm... Nope, no good. Okay, forget characters. I could work on the characters later.

How about conflict? Well, they could...uh... hmm... My mind remained blissfully blank. Then I tried a series of mix-and-match ideas for my characters, but they all fell into the "summer love" category. You know, meet during summer, have great sex, and at the end they say good-bye. Good for smut, but not romantic.

Finally, hoping to jumpstart my writing muse, Briana asked me, "What can happen only in Puerto Rico because of the heat?" And I went, "Uh?" Let's face it, I couldn't think of anything, but I already told you about that part of my writing hell, right? Anyway, it was obvious that I needed help, so I decided to ask around the following question: When you think of Puerto Rico, what comes to your mind?

Them: "Chupacabras!"

Me: *growls* "Let's not go there, sistah."

It's a sad, dark day for my beloved island when the only thing people can remember it for is the chupacabras. We're ashamed of it. Let us be! NEXT!

Them: "I think of exotic fruits like mangoes."

Me: "What's so exotic about mangoes? We've got a tree in the backyard. Do you know how much mangoes stink when they fall on the ground and you don't throw them far away soon?"

Them: "Beautiful exotic tall palm trees."

Me: "You've got to be kidding! They grow everywhere like weed. Don't let a coconut too close to the ground, or a palm tree will quickly sprout. (Oops! Did I just rhymed? I must be sicker than I thought.) Mom has two on big pots decorating the front porch. And they're very dangerous 'cause they attract lightning like you won't believe it."

Them: "Lots of heat and beaches!"

Me: "Er... I don't feel like writing an Annette-and-Frankie, beach romance novel. Makes me wanna puke."

Them: "Skimpy bikinis. Maybe no tops!"

Me: "Uh, you don't wanna do that here unless you want to be arrested for indecent exposure."

Them: "A fun place to live."

Me: "You've got us confused with Disney or Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch."

Them: "Oh, the place sounds like it's jumping with action and adventure."

Me: "Not even Agent 007 could get any action here. Unless he paid for it."

Them: "Gosh, you're so lucky to live there. It sounds like such an idyllic place to live."

Me: "Where do they think I live? Fantasy Island?" I can see Tattoo in my mind announcing the incoming planes at the Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport. ("Boss! The plane! The plane!").

Puerto Rico isn't la isla del encanto, people.

Comments on "Do I look like I live in Fantasy Island?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:37 PM) : 

LOL. Great post, Silma. You'll figure it out! I know you will. Stop stressing about it and *Wham* a good idea will come to you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 PM) : 

Silma don't worry to much
I really love your post.
Here is an idea:
Another thing you think when you said
Puerto Rico is ..........
HOT GUYS
Remember always check my blog:
krystel.blog-city.com
♥Love♥
Your goddaughter
Krystel

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:08 PM) : 

Hot guys.. *shakes her head and grins* And this coming from a mouth of my 13-yrs-old goddaughter. *lol* How could I miss such an important thing?

 

Blogger Silma said ... (10:16 PM) : 

Yeah, you're right, Cynthia. I guess stressing over it is causing me mental constipation. Maybe time is the brain laxative I need. *vbg*

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (8:59 AM) : 

I agree with Cynthia's suggestion. *g* But in everybody else's defense, people often think of PR as an exotic vacation paradise, especially those of us who've never had the pleasure of visiting.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:34 AM) : 

You nailed it, Lynn. Keyword: vacation. I know people love PR as a vacational spot, specially during November - April. And I'm cool with that. *g* But to write a romance novel set in PR and not involving tourists, it's hard.

 

post a comment