DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Friday, March 11, 2005

LA Banks's workshop: Wrap-Up

Today it's the last day of this workshop, and all I can say is that had the best time of my life. I learned a lot from it, not only from the comments done to my writing, but also from the comments done to the others. Leslie is a tough critiquer, I give her that. She doesn't let you slide or take shortcuts. Check out her critique of my dialogue:
She felt his bulging erection, and all her anger vanished and was quickly replaced by a burning desire. {NOPE. I’m not allowing you to get away with burning desire… if you tell me what his action is doing, how it makes her feel, you don’t have to say “burning desire,” smile…]
But that woman has such a wonderful sense of humor that even when she is pointing out the worst parts in your work as she critiques it is you can't help but grin and agree with her. She points out what you're doing right because she gets into what you're writing, you know. And if she doesn't like something, instead of putting you down and making you feel like whatever is wrong you can't fix it, she encourages you to do it right in a way that makes you feel like "yes, I can do it!"

Leslie posted the last lesson with some great advice. This one especially talked to me.
So, for example, if you write good dialogue, begin there by adding this new technique of sensory awareness to that which you’ve already mastered, and so forth. It will make what you already do well, sparkle.
This is definitively me. My strength: dialogues. My weakness: Adding sensory images.

Comments on "LA Banks's workshop: Wrap-Up"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 PM) : 

I throughly enjoyed LA's workshop. And I'm still smiley over her comments. You're right, she has a way about her that makes her soo likable. And I have to tell you; I *loved* your story. I hope I get to read more of it!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:50 PM) : 

You know something? I don't mind critiques, Nancy. It's a matter of how you say things. I've had people, like LA Banks, point out flaws in my work and do it such a way that I don't feel diminished. They don't offend you. Au contraire, they try to encourage you and they provide with that moral support. I've had people who simply slash my stories and make me feel stupid with their comments. A critique should be a way to help you improve your story. That's why it's important to be selective when choosing critique partners and/or groups.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:53 PM) : 

Sheri - *lol* Yeah, LA Banks is cool. I'm gonna by the book she suggested me. I can't wait to read how she made her H/h have sex in the astral world.

As for the story, I hope I can get around to tweak chapters 3 - 8 soon. I've got some new ideas I wanna try - thanks to Ms. Banks. *vbg*

 

post a comment