DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Saturday, April 23, 2005

List of my 20 writing fears

Today while I was at Borders I picked up this magazine about writing. In it there was this article about facing our fears as writers, and it has this exercise in which you must write your 25 fears. So I thought I'd give it a try here.

1. I suck as a writer.
2. I keep writing the same story line over and over and over.
3. I'm not disciplined enough to be a writer.
4. I procrastinate a lot.
5. My writing is totally disorganized.
6. I'll run out of ideas to write.
7. I hate deadlines.
8. Contracts scare me.
9. My ideas are stupid.
10. My characters are boring.
11. I'll never get published.
12. Publishers will hate my stories.
13. I'll get terrible reviews and people will laugh at my stories.
14. I'm not talented enough to be a writer.
15. I might become bored of writing.
16. I'm wasting my time.
17. I don't have enough time for it due to my full-time job.
18. I can't deal with the romance writing rules.
19. My heros and heroines are slight variations in each story.
20. My romantic scenes are laughable.

Comments on "List of my 20 writing fears"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:47 PM) : 

I can so relate to those fears! Does the book say what to do with them?

 

Blogger Larissa Ione said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Oh, wow--a lot of those fears are mine, as well. And yeah, what's the purpose of writing them out? What do you do with them?

 

Blogger vanessa jaye said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Ditto. The majority of that list applies to me. :-P Maybe it's one of those identify, face and conquer your fears excercises? Food for thought.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 AM) : 

Which magazine were you reading Silma? I'd love to pick up a copy of it.

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (8:41 AM) : 

But the end of the article said, "Don't worry, Silma, your fears are unfounded." Right?

Actually, I think most of those fears are universal to animals like us *wink*, and they're what keeps us working harder and striving to do better.

At least, that's what I tell myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Wow, ditto on those fears. So I almost hate to write a list and give voice to my fears... Did the article say how to overcome them?

I'm thinking write the list and symbolically burn it?

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (1:04 PM) : 

THIS is a wonderful exercise!
Does it ask you to list your 25 hopes? Because I think it would be interesting to see the two lists side-by-side.
Grins*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

Now, you need to burn the list over a yellow candle, and say good bye to your fears. (Burning a Yellow candle is for cronfidence)

Yes, ok, I've got lots of infor on lots of weird stuff. *grin*.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:59 PM) : 

Oh man, I could have written much of this list. Did that article come with directions on what now, LOL?

 

Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Me too! Me too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 AM) : 

Ditto on most of that list. I could add, "my characters and stories are so bizarre (to quote a rejection letter) that no one will ever buy them."

Burning the list is a great idea!

 

Blogger Eva Gale said ... (10:06 PM) : 

I have them too. Courage is not being fearless, but facing fear and overcoming it. Keep writing. :P

 

Blogger Tess said ... (10:29 AM) : 

Silma - thanks for posting your fears! I don't know a writer who can't relate. And it came just in time for a cp of mine who is feeling really down. I sent her the link, so she's knows she's not alone in her doubts. She said it really helped to read your post.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:29 PM) : 

I think we all have these same fears. It's what makes us human. Hang in there, girl!
Nancy
www.nancyhenderson.com

 

Blogger Silma said ... (4:04 PM) : 

Olga - I read this as part of an article in a magazine for writers.

Larissa, Jaye, Sheri, Chryscat, Kacey, Jill - I can't remember what the article said about this beside doing a list. It was more like a way to confront your fears. I got a call and put the mag back, so I did finish the whole article.

Teresa - I think it's new. At least I've never seen it before. I think it was called Personal Writing, or something like that. I went by Borders again, but I couldn't find it in the stands.

Lynn, Nancy, Briana - I guess you're right about all writers having those fears at one time or another.

Tess - Glad I could help your CP. *g*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 AM) : 

Hello, my name is Tess. I'm a writer myself and I just happened to stumble onto your blog here. All those fears you have are fears that every writer has I think, at least I do. I usually try to write even when I feel like it's never going to work. Rememeber that what you've written can always be changed afterwards.

 

post a comment