DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Monday, October 26, 2009

Another landmark in my life gone

Man, I remember when the Internet was young back in the 90s. There were barely any websites out, Netscape was the first commercial browser, cyberspace felt like more like a small town, and Yahoo was the only search engine. Yeah, here I'm talking about the good old days. *winks* hehehe!

And for those of us who were starting to explore this new world and experiment with website creation didn't have any places where to host them. Until Geocities came out in 1985! It was one of the first places which host websites for free. Gosh, I remember that they had these neighborhoods named after cities like HotSprings, Athens, SoHo, and Tropics. See, the idea was to group websites by content, although after a while people chose to put their websites in whichever neighborhood was available. Hehehe! Anyway, each neighborhood had a number of "lots" where you could build your website. I parked mine in Athens 8623. Yep, I became a "homesteader" (that was what you were called back in late 1986), and my first website went up at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8623/. Hahaha!

My first attempt at a website was...well...pathetic. Heh! Oh, I did have the whole HTML down, but the images... UGH! Yeah, visually it sucked. But not for long! With the help of a couple of graphic artists, I began to experiment with PhotoShop and then posted my "creations" on my Geocities account. It was an exciting time, you know. It was all about experimenting...and learning. Heck, it was fun!

I found out that Geocities is closing its doors today. *sighs* It's kind of sad, you know? Although I've not been to by it in a long time, I feel like a part of me is gone.

Good bye, Geocities! It was really fun. And thank you... *getting teary*

Labels:

Comments on "Another landmark in my life gone"

 

post a comment