DDD
13,600 / 20,000 (68%)


Samba story
7,926 / 8,000 (99.1%)


S.M. (Book 1)
580 / 10,000 (5.8%)


S.M. (Book 2)
1,010 / 10,000 (10%)


Runes
4,032 / 10,000 (40.5%)


ASPCA Day is April 10

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called hunks. Make your own badge here.

Template by: © 2006  Thur Broeders

Powered by Blogger

Feed

My Photo
Name:
Location: Puerto Rico

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My fears are their fears?!

A few days ago Jordan posted on her blog about fears and phobias, and how we as writers transmit them to our characters. And I thought, "Nah. That isn't me." In my mind I let my characters be who they want to be (strengths and weaknesses), never manipulate them like some writers do. So I never thought my characters could be afraid of the same things I do. Perhaps I had transmitted them unconsciously? I found this so interesting that I quickly decided to try a little experiment/research on my own. First, I made a list of my fears:

1. Fear of heights
2. Fear of crowded places
3. A bit of claustrophobia
4. Fear of roaches and frogs
5. Fear of being without money

Then I pulled out the CD where I keep copies of all the stories I've written and opened each file. I read each story keeping in mind my list of fears. Nope. None of my characters are scared of heights. Actually some even love to fly, and the higher the better. They feel comfortable in large crowds. No claustrophobics. None of my heroines are scared of roaches. I couldn't find a single one of my fear projected into my characters. But I didn't give up so easily. I figured they had to be there somewhere perhaps in a subtle way, so I kept looking, keeping an eye even on the secondary characters. Again nothing. I was beginning to wonder if there was really nothing there.

However, the more I analyzed (and over-analyzed) my characters, I did find a common trait shared by all my female characters. They are afraid to lose their independence and sense of self if they commit to a relationship. In other words, my heroines aren't the type to bend backwards for any man. If he thinks one of them will give up their dreams or their lifestyle for him, they've got another thing coming. Yep, they don't compromise. My heroines are strong women. You know when your mother told you couldn't have the cake and eat it too? Well, my heroines want the whole cake and want to eat it too. For them, compromising is a 50-50 thing. If the hero isn't capable of compromising, or accepting them as they are and allow them their independence, then he isn't the man for my heroine. No wonder I put those poor heroes into situations in which at the end they have to choose between whether to stay with the heroine or look for someone more pliant. *lol*

Hmm... Another interesting thing I discovered through this little experiment was how my fears became strenghts in my characters. For instance, I'm afraid of heights. Actually I suffer from vertigo. Yet none of my characters do. Most of them like to fly or climb high places. Am I living through them in this aspect? I've come to the conclusion that yes.

Is there a common trait in your characters, one that you could point out and say, this keeps repeating itself? Do you find yourself getting rid of your fears through your characters?

Comments on "My fears are their fears?!"

 

Blogger Jordan Summers said ... (5:11 PM) : 

I don't get rid of my fears through my characters, but there are common themes that pop up again and again. BTW, I love the changes you made to the site. It makes a huge difference. :)

 

Blogger Shawn said ... (5:27 PM) : 

Hmmm...I am going to go through and do a little checking myself. Right off the top of my head I can say in Breath of Fire the heroine is claustrophobic and doesn’t particularly care for elevators. I fear being trapped in an elevator. As long as I have my cell phone and or book and I'm in the elevator alone I'd be ok. Good post it really got me thinking!

 

Blogger Crystal* said ... (8:38 PM) : 

Hmmm.
Well. I'm not going to let any of my characters keep pet snakes or put their butts in an Amazonian Jungle.
BUT...I do tend to make my heroines a shade of myself. And I'd rather have them pushy than a pushover. A girl lives and learns.
Grins*

 

Blogger Shari said ... (2:25 AM) : 

I share a lot of the same fears you do. But I haven't used them as a basis for my characters. Yet.

But I am working on a new story that has a heroine similar to me. I figured, after 5 manuscripts, I could incorporate some of what I know about my fear of heights without turning the book into non-fiction! LOL

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:51 AM) : 

Jordan - I've noticed that there are certain themes ocurring again and again in each of my stories. I feel like I'm repeating myself.

Thanks! I've been looking for this template for some time, but it wasn't until yesterday that I finally tracked it down. *g* And yes, I love the difference it makes. Now I need to work on the banner thingy. Too bad I don't have PhotoShop at work.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:53 AM) : 

Shawn Monique - It's an unconsciuos thing to pass down our fears to our characters. I guess it's because many writers mold their characters to their personalities.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (8:56 AM) : 

Chryscat - Well, I may be afraid of roaches but in one of my last WIP there's a scene in which my heroine steps in sewer and there are roaches all over. It bothers the hero, but the heroine just steps over them like nothing.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (9:01 AM) : 

Shari - *LOL* Yeah, I guess we must be careful to use our experiences in our stories now. We don't want to be accussed by Oprah of passing a non-fiction book as fiction.

 

Blogger Angela's Designs said ... (9:21 AM) : 

Probably a trait I use a lot of the heroine having some adversity she's overcoming from her past. A lot of room for different fears there. I don't really think I'm working out fears, yet it is easier for me to write the heroine with that motivation than the hero I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

I haven't noticed it but it wouldn't surprise me if I did.

The new setup for your blog looks great, Silma!!!!!!

 

Blogger Silma said ... (12:26 PM) : 

Annalee - Yep, one of the easiest ways to deal with one character is when they have to overcome something from their past. Sometimes fears can be involved there. My question is how much of those fears are actually ours, the writers.

 

Blogger Silma said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Bonnie - Thanks! I finally have it looking the way I want it, and I'm totally pleased with the results. *g*

 

post a comment